THE CHANCEL, 13th CENTURY
The oldest part of the Church. Evidence of an older building on this site is to be seen from the base of a late 12th century font now in the south aisle.
THE NAVE, 14th CENTURY
About the year 1360 the nave aisles and chancel arch were rebuilt. The nave roof has been renewed, but the three tie beams and king posts date from this time.
THE ROOD SCREEN, 15th CENTURY
Erected about the year 1400. The stairs leading to the roof loft can be seen in the southeast corner of the north aisle.
THE TOWER, 15th CENTURY
Built and the south porch added about the year 1450.
In 1552 there were four bells and a Sanctus bell. About 1800 one bell was taken down, possibly because it was cracked. There are now six bells in the tower; two others, the gift of an Albury parishioner, were added in 1965 and the sixth in 1978.
There are several brasses in the church. Two on the floor and others mounted on the walls. These are in memory of Henry Barlee and his wife Katharine; John Scroggs, his wife Mary and their son Edward; Thomas Leventhorpe and his wife Dorothy; and on the wall of the north aisle there is a tablet recording the founding of a bread charity for the poor of Albury by Anne Gunter.
THE TOMB, 14th CENTURY
Effigies in the north aisle are thought to be of Sir Walter de la Lee and his wife Margaret; he died in 1396.
During the course of the years the building has undergone various changes. In the early years of the 18th Century the Church was filled with box pews, which were removed in the last Century when extensive repairs were carried out. The chancel was rebuilt in 1855. In the early years of the 20th Century the walls of the chancel were panelled with-oak, and a new high altar was provided. A vestry and organ chamber were added.
In 1963 the tower was in a dangerous condition, and repairs costing £6,000 were carried out. The bells were re-hung and three more have been added making a peal of six, one of the oldest in Hertfordshire. The parishioners of this small parish have contributed, and still do so, very generously towards the upkeep of their Church. Any help, which visitors can give in maintaining the fabric, will be much appreciated.
Services are held in the church every Sunday as shown below and you are most welcome to join us.
BENEFICE OF LITTLE HADHAM WITH ALBURY CHURCHES OF ST CECILIA AND ST MARY THE VIRGIN
Services and times of services will change at key seasons in the church calendar such as Easter and Christmas.
Any such changes will be advertised in the magazines of our two parishes.
Church Warden - Dr. Vanessa Daley
Tel: 01279 842609